South Texas College
Release, Waiver, and Indemnity Agreement
State of Texas, hereinafter called RELEASOR, in favor of SOUTH TEXAS COLLEGE, and all other officers, representatives, and employees thereof, hereinafter called RELEASEES. Releasor is seeking permission to travel with releasee and other students and South Texas College staff. Releasor acknowledges and understands the risks and hazards inherent or to be anticipated in such an activity. Releasor voluntarily chooses to participate with full knowledge of these risks and hazards.
South Texas College (STC) students that are traveling are representing the college and should conduct themselves professionally and follow the STC Code of Student Conduct (Code of Conduct) while away from campus. The following applies to all students traveling to meetings, conferences, retreats, sporting events or other activities representing STC.
Students must adhere to the following:
- The Advisor(s) shall have authority and supervision of the students. Students are expected to attend all business meetings, workshops, sports events and other scheduled event programs. Students must be prompt and prepared for all departures, meetings, sessions, games, events, etc. Social events and tours will be at the discretion of the Advisor(s).
- Students shall interact professionally and dress appropriately/follow the dress code if provided.
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are strictly prohibited.
- Traffic violations (as a student driver/passenger) are the responsibility of the student driver/passenger.
- Students will stay on trip/conference/hotel grounds at all times and follow provided itinerary unless directly instructed by the Advisor(s).
- Students must report all accidents, injuries, illnesses, or significant incidents to the Advisor(s) immediately.
- Students are expected to share rooms. Any additional travel expense incurred will be at the student’s personal cost.
- Any type of theft, vandalism, or other unwarranted behavior to another person or property while on the trip will be at the financial expense of the student responsible for the act.
- STUDENTS TRAVELING BY PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLES for organized student travel must have a valid Texas (or other state) driver license, possess personal automobile insurance coverage as mandated by the state of Texas, and current state inspection and registration. Students who drive their privately-owned vehicles assume responsibility for the liability for themselves and the passengers traveling in their vehicle and acknowledge that no coverage for personal injuries or property damage is available to the students.
- Students must have a picture identification (State/Federal) and in some cases, the STC Student ID may be required.
- Some travel may involve passage through U.S Border Patrol check points (airports, Falfurrias, Sarita, etc.). It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they have documentation validating their residence/stay/travel within the United States.
- Students acknowledge that they are traveling of their own desire/free will and are not required/forced into attending/travelling.
By Submitting this Document:
- I am accepting full responsibility for my actions and will adhere to all of the above including the STC Code of Student Conduct.
- I understand that if I violate the STC Code of Student Conduct and any procedures stated here, South Texas College may take action against me or report me to the relevant authorities including the STC Student Conduct Office.
- I hereby, recognize and acknowledge that South Texas College does not carry health and/or hospital insurance for students. I understand that I may purchase insurance on my own through an agent of my choosing. I further recognize there are certain risks inherent in the participation of such activities, in which I hereby voluntarily assume. Therefore, I hereby release and discharge South Texas College, its governing board, officers, faculty, staff, coaches, and other employees from all obligations, liabilities, claims, demands, costs, and expenses, including attorney fees, rising out of, or in any way connected with, any bodily injury sustained whether such injury results from the negligence of the aforesaid persons or from some other cause.
- I understand that photographs may be taken and used by the College. I hereby release any and all claims of said photographs to South Texas College.
- I authorize the College to verify my enrollment at South Texas College.
- I acknowledge that falsifying any information may result in disciplinary action against me by the College.
RELEASE/WAIVER: In consideration of releasor being permitted to participate as described above, releasor, for himself/herself and his/her personal representatives, heirs and next of kin, hereby covenants not to sue, releases, waivers, and discharges from all liability to the releasor, his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin, for all loss or damage, and from every claim, demand, action, or right of action, of whatever kind or nature, either in law or in equity, on account of injury to the person or property of, or resulting in death or the releasor, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE while the releasor is for any purpose participating in the activity described above.
INDEMNITY: Releasor agrees to indemnify the releasees from any loss, liability, damage, or cost releasees may incur due to the participation of the releasor, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
Releasor expressly agrees that this release, waiver, and indemnity agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Texas and that if any portion of this agreement is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
This release contains the entire agreement between the releasor and releasees and the terms of the release are contractual and not a mere recital.
RELEASOR HAS CAREFULLY READ THIS AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTANDS ITS CONTENTS, IS AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A CONTRACT BETWEEN THE PARTIES HERETO AND HAS SIGNED OF HIS/HER OWN FREE WILL.